Kueh Bengka Ubi (II)

Thursday, 7 June 2012

If you can buy ready-grated tapioca and ready-squeezed fresh coconut milk, it'd criminal not to make kueh bengka ubi. It is so easy, so quick, so good.

It's hard to come up with tips for making kueh bengka ubi because the Malay/Nyonya cake is really straightforward. Even after eating lots of kueh to fuel my brain, I can think of only a few which anyone with some common sense/knowledge would know:

There're two types of tapioca (aka cassava): yellow and white. If you use the one that's yellow, your kueh will be yellow without artificial food colouring.

 If you use a dark-coloured cake pan, the bottom and sides of the kueh will brown better.

If the kueh browns quicker around the edges, cover it with a piece of aluminium foil with a hole cut in the middle.

If you find that the kueh is too soft after it has cooled down, you can bake it again to make it firmer. KBU is very forgiving!

If the kueh tastes bitter, don't eat it. The bitterness comes from the cyanide in raw tapioca. When it's cooked, cyanide is not bitter. More importantly, cooked cyanide is harmless unless you're eating lots day in, day out over a prolonged period.

Some people drain and discard the liquid in grated tapioca to reduce the bitterness. I don't think that's necessary since, as I just said, the bitterness goes away when tapioca is fully cooked.

One day, I'll write a story about a woman who kills her philandering husband by feeding him half-cooked kueh bengka ubi.  

Heh . . . heh . . . heh . . . . *rub hands with glee*

That'd be nice, wouldn't it? "That" being the killing, not writing . . . . Ok, maybe both.

Hmm, should I make a video of the killing?



Click here for the recipe.

16 comments:

Shuhan said...

I remember reading about your kueh bingka recipe, thinking to myself, wow really so easy meh. now I'm utterly convinced it's that easy. I know you chose mrs wee's recipe out of all 3 as this looked the simplest, jsut wondering if you've given the other 2 a go and compared, taste-wise?

KT said...

The armchair comparison is all I've done, I'm afraid. It's very comfortable, the armchair.

mai said...

I've often heard how easy this recipe is and your video has confirmed that. I've been away from Singapore for so long that I miss all the different kueh and such and lazy me doesn't bother to cook it for myself, wanting instead to head down to the market (but no market)  to buy. I enjoy visiting your food blog and finding out your latest recipes. Helps me a lot even if I don't end up cooking anything! But I must try this kueh bengka ubi as I miss it very much.  Thanks!!

mai 

KT said...

Hi mai

Besides KBU, Kueh Bengka Pulut is also very easy. It's like KBU but it uses glutinous rice flour and grated coconut instead of grated tapioca.

Anonymous said...

Hi KT
I made this today and it turn out very well. The level of sweetness is just nice. Thank you for sharing.

teo ai li said...

Hi KT, is the bottom of this kueh as brown as the top? Mine even when I baked in a non-stick pan, it is still not brown at all. I like it brown when the sugar caramelizes. Can you advise how to get the bottom brown? Thanks for your help!

kt said...

Mine is only light brown. To brown the bottom, you need to give it more heat. Either increase the bottom heat (by maybe 15C) if your oven has separate controls for the top and bottom, or move the cake to the bottom shelf, or unmould the cake, invert it back into the pan, then grill the cake.

When I have leftover kueh, I cut it quite thin, about 1 cm, before refrigerating it. As and when I want some, I toast a few slices in a toaster oven till both top and bottom are slightly brown.

teo ai li said...

Thank you, KT! If I invert it, do I bake it or grill? Thanks!

kt said...

Grill it, as soon as it's firm enough to be unmoulded. Invert the cake and put it back in the pan so that it doesn't dry up too much under the grill.

sabrina said...

Wow I wonder why I did not come across this earlier. My mum used to make this for my grandma. Hers looks darker and I used to love the edges and corners as they are more fragrant.I will give this recipe a try soon although I still recall the scraped knuckles from grating the tapioca (i was the free labour then), haha
Sabrina

Lilian said...

Hi, so happy to stumble on your blog and this recipe cos my hubby loves this kueh. Was wondering where I can get ready grated tapioca?

kt said...

Hi Lilian, Tekka.

Lilian said...

Thanks KT for your reply!. Also, thank you very much for the many wonderful recipes on your blog. It is very useful for newbie like me who is learning to cook and bake. Your detail step by step recipes, tips, video are soooooo useful. Hope you will continue to share your knowledge and experience on the blog. Thank you!

Sara Frederica Santa Maria said...

I made this cake twist and it turned out nice. Thank you,KT.

Wind Lim said...

Awaiting eagerly for the killer story... I m newbie follower ^^ll

ssim said...

thanks for the video. Yearned for this kuih for a long time and am so happy to come across blog. I am a Malaysian living in Brazil ; over here I can get of the tapioca and coconut but unfortunately not the pandan leave. Anyway , will try out the recipe without the pandan leave.

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...